Monday, November 10, 2008
If I may brag, I am an excellent napper. In fact, I'm practically narcoleptic, and really, how cool is that? Unfortunately, the urge to snooze occasionally strikes in the movie theater, after I've forked over $11.50 to be entertained. Here are some of the movies I've "watched" through closed eyelids:
1. Gladiator. Yeah, I know what you're thinking: "You fell asleep during an action flick (of sorts)?" Damn right I did. And even better -- I deliberately dozed off because the movie was so freakin' boring. I figured, correctly, that it would be over faster if I took a nap.
2. Man on Wire. OK, this one is a little weird, because I was actually tense the whole time. Even though I knew Philippe Petit was gonna make it across that tightrope between the Twin Towers, I still had sweaty palms. Maybe I fell asleep as a defense mechanism. That, or the fact that a lot of it was in black and white... with subtitles.
3. The Triplets of Belleville. In my defense, I saw this on New Year's Day after having had very little sleep. As I recall, it was a very enjoyable nap.
4. The Winslow Boy. I think I fell asleep even before the opening credits of this film. Anyone know what it was about?
5. Vertigo. Luckily, I'd seen this one a few times before at home, because I slept through at least 20 minutes of important plot development.