Saturday, February 5, 2011

Parts of the week (in rank order)


While most of my lists are in no particular order
really, what would be the point of ranking words or phrases I would (or do) feel stupid saying? this one is. So pay attention, OK? It matters.

1. All day Friday. Oh, the promise this day holds: 48 full hours of doing whatever I damn well please. I particularly enjoy my Friday morning ritual of disabling the alarm clock, which culminates in a joyful flipping of the bird. (I really do this. Every Friday.) Some will argue Saturday is the better day since most of us don't have to work. They're wrong. The workplace on Friday is generally a nice place to be because everyone is thinking about those 48 full hours to do whatever they damn well please.

2. Saturday morning. I especially love getting up before 8 am and feeling like I have all the time in the world. Sometimes pancakes are involved and that's a very good thing indeed.

3. Thursday night. Friday (see No. 1 above) is so close you can taste it. (Mmmmm... Friday.) Also, the excellent television situation comedy 30 Rock is on.

4. Midday Wednesday. I'm fairly neutral on Wednesdays, but lunchtime is cool because the Taim falafel truck usually parks outside my office.

5. Monday morning. No explanation necessary.

6. Sunday night. To quote the legendary band Gum, "Sundays are the lamest days." And once the sun goes down the dread really kicks in. There's a reason the phrase "beating the Sunday blues" gets 80 kabillion results in a Google search. (Don't test this. I totally made it up.)

7. All day Tuesday. Tuesdays suck. Perhaps it's because the reality of the work week has sunk in, or because the weekend seems so far away. Whatever: annoying things always seem to happen on Tuesdays.
 

4 comments:

Ryan said...

"Monday is a blues day
That goes for Tuesday
Wednesday's just the middle of the week
Friday is just another payday
The weekend's just another heyday
But Thursday's surreptitiously unique
And that's why I didn't go to work today"

Reyna said...

This may be your best blog post ever! Could anyone come up with a better list? I think not. But to quote the legendary band Gum, "Don't tell your mom cause she won't understand."

Anonymous said...

I used to hate Tuesdays too, until I met a man named Morrie.

Meister @ The Nervous Cook said...

Tuesdays really do suck. That's why I've made them "long run" days -- if you can hit the ground full speed on Tuesdays, they go by much quicker, I think!